You can still enjoy your favorite homemade spaghetti sauce, but serve it over vegetables instead of grain-based pasta. If you want really nice vegetable "pasta", try the Spirooli!
Here is what you will need:
- homemade spaghetti sauce made without flour, grain or any other thickener, without sugar and with high-quality meat, such as grass-fed beef or bison
- zucchini or spaghetti squash
- ghee, coconut oil or lard
Here's how to prepare your Paleo "Spaghetti":
- If using zucchini, cut it in thin sticks (or use the Spirooli for best results). Cook the zucchini "pasta" in ghee, coconut oil or lard until soft and serve with your spaghetti sauce.
- If using spaghetti squash, halve the squash and remove the seeds. Bake it in the oven about 30 minutes or until soft. With a fork, scrape the inside of the squash to get "spaghetti". Serve your spaghetti sauce over it.
* You can use any vegetables you like, such as green beans, broccoli or even ptoatoes, and use it as a base to serve your spaghetti sauce over. I added patty pan squashes to mine (see picture above).
Sign up for the Paleo dietitian's newsletter below: